A Day To The Ancient Watertown…

Shanghai, China

It was an impromptu call up to Shanghai but nevertheless, I had a worthwhile trip to QiBao Ancient Watertown (七宝古镇). There is lots of photo opportunity found in this quaint little thousand year old town, where you can still find antique buildings from the Northern Song Dynasty.

Entrance to QiBao

The Pagoda near the entrance

May I suggest having an empty stomach when you visit this ancient water town. If not, you will be missing out on some good local snacks (上海小吃).

Xiao Long Bao (小笼包)

It was so good that I had two baskets (16 pcs) by myself. I am a Xiao Long Bao’s lover! I am a Chinese and I like my food to be served pipping hot! I always miss our Asian food when I am in European countries. And an interesting thing that I have noticed is that they do not provide shredded ginger and spoon in China. So…Does that mean the authentic way of eating Xiao Long Bao is without shredded ginger and spoon?

Tangyuan (汤圆)

Candied Haw in a Stick (冰糖葫蘆)

Vinegar Pork Trotter (猪脚醋)

Braised Pigeon (乳鸽)

This is one of the three bridges found in QiBao. It gives me a feeling that I was in those ancient chinese series (古装剧).

When you are in QiBao, you got to take the boat trip along the canals to complete the whole feel.

Aaaahhh… So nostalgic…

Personally, I think it would be even better to have tradition performance acts such as an old Chinese man playing erhu (二胡) on the streets to enhance the whole laid-back atmosphere.

I also tried an attempt on street photography to give more characteristics to my photo album for this trip. Here are some of my amateur shots..

An emo me..

If you are trying to figure out this photo, this is me sitting in the old boat.

I am pretty satisfied with my photos as I have captured the feel that I wanted to portray for this place. Looking forward to my next trip.. Till then.. 😉

10 Comments

• Cindy Kang December 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

Girlfriend, i like your photo album for this trip. It somehow portray an idea how the local cultural and customs. *thumbs up*

• Irene December 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Thanks babe! I like my photo album for this trip too! Definitely an improvement over the past three months I think.. 🙂 Quickly buy your camera so we can have photo shoot trips! 😉

• madeofballoons January 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Your photos are definitely getting better and better! I’m thinking of doing my internship in Shanghai, sent an application already, can’t wait to receive a reply from them :O

• Irene January 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Shinn! Enjoy taking photographs… Hope to get a medium format camera soon. 🙂 Which company did you send your application too? All the best!! 🙂

• deawehbenson April 1, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for this! I’m planning my trip to Shanghai and this was very helpful!

• kat April 4, 2015 at 12:24 am

Hello! I would like to ask if Qibao ancient watertown is far from the bund? and how can I get there if im coming from Yuyuan garden or the bund? 😀 thank you!:)

• Isabel June 8, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Hi Irene, am in Shanghai at the moment and you have inspired this old girl to get off her butt and get out of Dhanghai and explore. Did you just do this as a day trip? Did you get the train from Shanghai Train Station on line 1? Can you just rock up and buy a return ticket?

• Irene July 24, 2017 at 8:59 pm

That’s great! I did this trip as a day trip to Qibao ancient watertown. If I were to remember well, I believe I took a taxi from my hotel.

• wens April 20, 2015 at 8:31 pm

hi just wondering what camera u are using?? the pics are really nice

• Irene April 21, 2015 at 3:19 am