Xiao Long Bao, My Love!

Shanghai, China

Fotor05170454

This is my first flight to China this year. Like finally! I love flights to China! Food is cheap! Everything is cheap! I love chinese food! I live like a Queen whenever I am in China. I re-visited YuYuan (豫园) and you can view my previous post on YuYuan here. I took a cab to YuYuan and the dishonest cab driver wanted to charge me more. The cab fare was RMB46 (SGD9) and I gave him RMB100. He only returned me RMB24 instead of RMB54, thinking that I wasn’t aware of the exact charge on the meter. I was traveling alone, a little scared but still, I demanded for my exact change and luckily he returned. A small tip for women traveling solo is that before you board a cab, you can check with your concierge the approximate cab fare and travel time to reach your destination. Stay vigilant and if something is amiss, do not hesitate to leave and board another cab. So yea, be careful.

Fotor05171171

I wanted to go to YuYuan because I have a craving for Xiao Long Bao (小笼包) and Nanxiang Steamed Buns Restaurant (南翔馒头店) is well known to both locals and tourists as the place to eat Xiao Long Bao. I wanted to try the famous Xiao Long Bao on my last visit but I did not have enough money and I was very determined to try it this time round. There was a super long queue on the ground level for Xiao Long Bao (10pcs) at RMB20 (SGD4). SO CHEAP RIGHT?  The average queue time was about an hour. I tried to queue for 10 minutes and gave up when I noticed that there was a staircase leading to second floor. I went up to the second floor but there was some queue too so I continued my way to third floor. Voilà, there was NO QUEUE.

DSCF1215

I was so happy that I did not need to queue and I was given a table immediately. Woah! I did a little research about the restaurant while I was waiting for my food. I then realized that there were 3 different levels of service and pricing at Nan Xiang. The ground level is for take away (forever long queue!) and the cheapest compared to second and third level. The second floor dining level is casual whereas the third level dining level is more formal with more options in the menu. No wonder no queue la! Lol!

Fotor051710518

I ordered the King Size Nanxiang Crab Roe Steam Soup Bun (蟹黄湯包). I sucked up the broth through the straw. It was super hot but damn shiok! I have wanted to order Nanxiang Drunken Chicken and Chicken Soup but I was informed that these chicken dishes are not available in the menu anymore. I was quite impressed that the restaurant has taken preventive measures against H7N9.

Fotor051704228

This is my favorite dish, Crab Roe & Pork Filling Steamed Bun (蟹黄小笼). The skin is thicker than the Ding Tai Fung’s Xiao Long Bao in Singapore but gosh, the filling is substantial and soupy. The broth is so much that it fills the spoon and I should have taken a picture to show! Damn good, damn shiok la! Simply the best Xiao Long Bao I have ever tried!

Fotor051704659

Of cos, I must order the original flavor, Fresh Pork Filling Steamed Bun. The broth was flavorful and rich with fats. However, it will be better if the meat is more tender. And YES, I FINISH EVERYTHING all by myself! The bill only came up to RMB130 (SGD26). Damn worth it with such delicious Xiao Long Bao! I have tried the Nanxiang outlet in Singapore but it is not as good as the Shanghai’s outlet.

Fotor051711213

I took the train back to my hotel. The 20 minutes train ride only cost RMB4 (SGD0.80). Cheap! When back to my room, I enjoyed my mango bubble bath with coconut scrub (great combination) and then a 2 hour call in full body oil massage. Guess how much the 2 hour full body oil massage cost? ONLY RMB185 which is less than SGD40!! CHEAP AND SHIOK! 😀

I think I deserve to enjoy my life because I work hard… Work Hard, Play Hard and Enjoy life! 🙂

15 Comments

• tamikadoubell May 18, 2013 at 1:34 am

WOWWWW ~!! Your blog is amazing. I love your pics with the camels , and this post is so interesting!! I have really learnt something. It’s good to live like a queen wherever you go! 😛 I also love travelling. I have never been to China but now I want to go!! Nice pics and great collages. I am a new fan of your blog, I love it! I live in cape town south africa – have you been here? Check out my blog at http://www.tamikadoubell.com 🙂 x

• Irene May 22, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Thank you! I have just seen your blog! It is so awesome! I have never been to cape town but I would love to visit it one day 🙂

• Jenny May 18, 2013 at 1:35 am

Oh wow – those dumplings look good!

• Irene May 18, 2013 at 1:52 am

And it tastes super good too! 🙂

• Alison May 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hi!

its me again! so glad about your updates. and thanks for the reply in the previous post!
    im guessing you are an air stewardess since you mentioned its thanks to your job that you can fly so often. haha. lucky you!!
    wish i got a job just like that too.

does it mean you fly everyday? or how often are you normally away for?

AND. the buns look super good here. im hungry just looking at it. and how come you traveled alone this time?? so dangerous! >.<

whatever it is, stay safe ok and take care 🙂

• Irene May 21, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Hello 🙂 I am always away but I come back to Singapore very soon too. I love XLB too much and thats why I travel alone cos I want to eat it so badly. Too greedy when it comes to food. Haha.. Thank you dearie! I will stay safe. 🙂

• Mitzie Mee May 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Hi irene!
    It’s been too long since I last visited your blog. Shanghai looks fantastic and all that delicious food!!! I also love your new blog design:)

• Irene June 1, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Thank you! Time sure flies.. I love reading your blog updates. Keep on blogging 🙂

• The Guy January 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I love YuYuan Gardens too, such a wonderful peaceful setting in a hectic and sometimes crazy city. Have you ever tried the wonderful tea house on the brown wooden bridge just outside the gardens? Always a good spot for me and some big name celebrities have been in there in the past.

• S C Lam March 6, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Hello Irene,

Your Shanghai photos look great!. I am planning to go to Shanghai next week. Would you mind telling me which hotel you last stayed there?

Regards
    S C Lam

• Tiaraa June 30, 2015 at 3:43 am

Shanghai is no doubt a lovely place to visit & your post is amazingly doing justice to its glory…

• Tiaraa June 30, 2015 at 3:44 am

Shanghai is no doubt a lovely place to visit & your post is amazingly describing its glory….

• May February 16, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Any budget accomodation to recommend in Shanghai for 3 guests?

• ritchier53 March 31, 2017 at 4:31 am

Really enjoy reading your blog. Hope that you can view and comment on one of our articles on our growing site regarding Shanghai – it’s an amazing city.

• Shenglong Mo July 16, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Hi there, welcome to Shanghai(上海)!